The Director of Retail Sales will manage and support the sales activities of their direct reports and assigned sales agency(s) in order to drive and achieve objective based sales growth and profitability within their respective market.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strategy - Leadership in creating market-based and retailer-specific strategies for growing Ventura's portfolio in Retail, comprising brands, private label, and retail foodservice. Provide clear direction on the "right" types of opportunities for the team to pursue. Provide guidance on trade and promotional activities, broker initiatives, and sales team execution elements (targets, approach, etc.).
- Execution - Lead field sales execution with direct reports and broker teams leveraging a robust operating model. Regularly review market analytics with VP of Sales, Regional Sales Managers, broker partners, Revenue Management and Marketing to determine customer needs, volume and margin potential.
- Account Leadership - Responsibility for one or more key enterprise retailers in their market - Responsible for the corporate relationship, strategic alignment, and execution of objectives with this retailer, leveraging the team where necessary.
- Broker Management - Responsibility for setting broker execution strategy and measuring performance within their respective region.
- Communication - Provide consistent, clear and concise communication to direct reports and broker sales team to insure alignment for all goals and objectives. Elements include: Competitive product, pricing, promotional and leadership updates; Resources and support needed to maximize team volume and profitability growth; Key customer performance updates. Work closely with the broker Client Development Managers to have superior execution across all broker offices.
- Training, Education and Development - Insures exceptional program and product knowledge of the direct reports and broker sales team through individual custom and company training programs. Works collaboratively with Ventura Foods Marketing and Learning & Development to insure training and educational programs are on point. Conducts ongoing performance reviews with all direct reports and provides directions to support, enhance and add to employees current skill set.
- Sales Expense Management - Responsible for ongoing management of customer, personal and team sales expenses within established budget parameters.
Education and Experience:
- Degree from an accredited 4-year college or university
- Minimum of 5-10 years of progressively responsible experience in a broad range of sales and people management positions including field sales, broker management, sales operations, trade/customer marketing, category management and marketing
- Prior National Account experience with Walmart required
- Experience working with retailers on private label, branded, and retail foodservice
- Extensive P&L management experience as well as financial analysis, budgeting and forecasting experience
- Solid track record of problem solving and priority setting in a fast paced and evolving business environment
- History of delivering superior business results in changing environments and competitive markets
- Expertise in category management and joint business planning process is desirable
- Ability to travel up to 30%
- Prior experience using a CRM database, i.e. SalesForce
- Prior experience leveraging syndicated data, i.e. IRI or Nielsen
- High preference for CPG, produce - center store/dairy selling/retail foodservice experience
Knowledge and Skills:
- Possesses a professional business presence with exceptional communication and presentation skills both verbal and written
- Experience with CRM systems and other technology to support a digital/virtual sales process (Zoom, etc.)
- Self motivated with a drive for continuous improvement and excellence
- Ability to influence and motivate others
- Key personal attributes including: integrity; creativity; self motivation; accountability; high energy and results driven
Ventura Foods is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.