At Elastic, we see endless possibility in a world of endless data. And we use the power of search to help people and organizations turn that possibility into results. Elastic is the leading platform for search-powered solutions. With solutions in Enterprise Search, Observability, and Security, we help improve customer and employee search experiences, keep critical applications running smoothly, and protect against cyber threats. Elastic enables organizations worldwide to use the power of Elastic, including Netflix, Uber, BBC, Microsoft, and thousands of others.
Elastic was built on a foundation of being free and open, which trickles down to how we work. We’re a distributed organization and have been from the beginning. Being distributed isn’t just a way of doing business—it’s a mentality that is at the core of our culture.
We are seeking an outstanding Director of Revenue Accounting to join our Revenue team to lead and optimize our revenue recognition processes.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Global Revenue, the Director of Revenue Accounting will be leading a team of revenue professionals to optimize processes, and maintain and enhance our automated revenue system to ensure our monthly revenue close is completed efficiently and effectively. In addition, this role is expected to work effectively with team members across different functional departments for process and data improvements to streamline and scale our existing financial systems and operations to support a very fast-growing, dynamic, and distributed company.
What you will be doing:
- Oversee revenue monthly close procedures to ensure timely and accurate closing of revenue for internal and external reporting in accordance with ASC 606 and SOX requirements, including working with teams outside the accounting department to establish and communicate deadlines that support the consolidated close calendar deadlines.
- Analyze and synthesize trends in data and information to identify risks and requirements for additional processes and procedures.
- Identify and lead process improvement efforts to ensure improved efficiency of the department's processes and support company growth while enhancing the internal control environment.
- Liaise with our external auditors for the quarterly reviews and year-end audits, including discussing technical revenue accounting issues and internal control findings.
- Review, refine and prepare documentation around processes and accounting conclusions for areas of responsibility.
- Instill/support a culture of high-quality work, team collaboration, and continuous improvement, including providing mentorship and coaching.
- Maintain great relationships with business partners (Order Ops, Deal Desk, Sales, Legal, and Sales Operations) and accounting peers to address accounting and operational needs.
- Exhibit flexibility and willingness to take on new responsibilities and assignments as needed.
What you bring along:
- 5+ years of related experience, including experience in revenue recognition or revenue operations in a publicly-traded technology company.
- Demonstrated deep technical understanding of ASC 606 in software subscription and SaaS business models.
- Detailed experience in managing software revenue recognition in an automated revenue system, ideally RevPro.
- Track of record in managing a large team, building and maintaining procedures in accordance with Sarbanes Oxley.
- Strong presentational, superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive and effectively lead an organization in a rapidly growing and fast-paced environment.
- Analytical mindset with an emphasis on building and designing scalable processes.
- Experience building new capabilities and process optimization.
- Knowledge of NetSuite, RevPro, and Salesforce systems.
- Strong computer skills – Expert level MS Excel skills; proficient in MS Word, PowerPoint, or equivalent Google Apps.
- Big 4 Public Accounting experience to Senior Manager, highly desired.
Additional Information - We Take Care Of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match donations 1:1 up to $1500 USD (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love.
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave