Terumo Medical Corporation (TMC) develops, manufactures, and markets a complete, solutions-based portfolio of high-quality medical devices used in a broad range of applications for numerous areas of the healthcare industry. TMC places a premium on providing customers with world-class products, training and education programs that drive clear economic value, better clinical outcomes and improved quality of life for patients. TMC is part of Tokyo-based Terumo Corporation; one of the world’s leading medical device manufacturers with $5+ billion in sales, 20,000+ employees worldwide and operations in more than 160 nations. Terumo Medical Corporation is comprised of two strategic business divisions: Terumo Interventional Systems and Terumo Medical Products.
This position has responsibility for overall demand/supply optimization including inventory management, demand planning, production planning, and import/export. The successful candidate will lead, develop and execute strategies in support of the internal and x-business unit performance and to work to insure global alignment. The successful candidate will lead, develop and execute strategies in support of the business, build organizational capability, and implement efficient systems to achieve a best-in-class supply chain function that will drive competitive advantage for the business. The position reports to the Vice President of Operations.
- Establish key performance metrics driving supply chain performance in the areas including: on-time-delivery, service, cost, quality/compliance, supply chain responsiveness, forecast accuracy, and overall working capital performance.
- In conjunction with sales and marketing, establish an effective Sales and Operations Planning process to increase forecast accuracy, support effective new product launches, manage product life cycle/SKU rationalization and establish consignment systems. Establish inventory levels and schedules in conjunction with production sites and global supply chain partners to optimize efficiencies.
- Establish and lead inventory strategy development and deployment (i.e., A-B-C codes). Lead the analysis of inventory levels to support improvements in service, obsolescence, lead time management, and best cost.
- Production Planning: work closely with each Plant in evaluating availability of supply internal production scheduling and inventory replenishment practices. Develop and apply “best practices” regarding time horizon, frozen schedules, sourcing strategies, and overall resource/factory utilization.
- Support product development activities to optimize “make-vs-buy” sourcing decisions for new products, and to support speed-to-market by balancing new sourcing investment versus risk of forecast uncertainty.
- Transportation / Logistics: Supporting the reduction of transportation costs across the supply chain by leveraging optimization models, carrier contractual agreements, freight consolidation strategies, etc.
- Ensure highly automated and validated planning systems are in place to control the movement and identification of all materials from end-to-end in the supply chain.
- Ensure ERP systems contain the necessary functionality to deliver both sales growth and business analytics to drive efficiencies. Establish the decision-making practices which align with the “quality– service–cost” business strategy in the planning and management of supply chains and related processes. Ensure all ERP systems meet quality system requirements for good manufacturing practice, material control and validation.
- Continuously evaluate and improve supply chain competitive capability through regular benchmarking of industry best practices.
- Supervise, hire, manage performance and development of supply chain associates.
Working Conditions: This position exists in an office environment; however, it consists of 25% travel.
Skills and Essential Functions:
- Minimum 15 years of experience in progressively more responsible supply chain management roles within a multinational, regulated (med device/pharma or similar) organization;
- A proven track record of building and developing strong supply chain organization and aligning internal resources with external customer expectations and supplier capabilities.
- Must demonstrate a high level of customer focus to identify, understand the needs of, and align with the internal and external customers.
- Must possess outstanding communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Must have experience in a multicultural environment, working with international partners to establish global systems.
- Must possess strong leadership skills.
- Must be sensitive to and can manage cross culturally. Able to manage conflict and pressure by effectively facilitating healthy interaction and decision making that builds consensus and alignment.
- Must demonstrate a passion for, and proven success in driving continuous process improvement.
- Demonstrated project management experience especially in the areas of new product introductions, supplier qualification, material cost reduction, and inventory optimization.
- Must demonstrate a thorough understanding of the end-to-end supply chain and knows the critical measures of performance.
- Must have a working knowledge and practical experience with LEAN concepts. Must possess proven team-building and project management skills.
- Demonstrated experience with expanding the usage of the ERP systems for achieving supply chain efficiencies.
Education and Training Requirements:
1. A Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain Management, Business, Production Operations, Engineering or a related field required. Advanced degree is preferred and highly desirable.
2. Professional accreditation in Materials Management (APICS, CPIM), Manufacturing (ASQ) etc.