**The Department does not sponsor non-immigrant work visas for this position.**
An employee in this position performs technical operations and corrections to taxpayer accounts, computer generated listings, and inquiries. This involves extensive research and analysis through use of paper and electronic listings, PC programs, and OnBase. This position performs reviews of documentation. This involves daily oral and written communication on technical details of tax rules and regulations with teammates and the public.
Location: NSOB -- 2nd floor; Lincoln
Examples of Work
Qualifications / Requirements
- Processing returns and/or refund claims. This includes performing the following on a semi-regular basis: opening mail, of like tax forms, validation of documents, reconciliation of deposits, data entry and document preparation.
- Edit and correction of tax returns and applications for various tax programs.
- Written and telephone communication with taxpayers regarding the information contained on tax returns, applications and refund claims.
- Corrections of errors on tax returns and applications through computer listings. These errors may be caused by incorrect information contained on a return or application, or an error made in previous processing steps.
- Training peers. Sharing information, identifying possible problems and formulating solutions.
- Educating taxpayers on various tax programs.
- Answering the Department's main phone line on the switchboard, routing callers to Taxpayer Assistance or other Revenue teammates.
- Filling forms requests for taxpayers.
- Taking quarterly copier readings and reconciling the copier billing.
- Scheduling conference rooms in Outlook for teammates.
- Assigning temporary access cards for Revenue teammates who forgot their access cards and issuing visitor badges for Revenue vendors coming into Revenue.
- Using Word mail merge, pre-identify some monthly forms.
- Logging and routing express packages for Revenue.
- Placing service order tickets with State Building Division and the OCIO.
- Creating contracts and purchase orders/requisitions in E1 for services and commodities needed by the Department.
- Assists with other functions as the need arises.
Minimum qualifications: Coursework, training and/or experience work that involved using personal computer software, web, and other office equipment AND one year of experience comparing and evaluating complex documents against a set of criteria for content and accuracy AND experience interacting with taxpayers by phone and/or in person.Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
Knowledge of: Web and PC software applications, general accounting principles, and business office procedures.
Skill in: Operation of PC, calculator, and other basic office machines.
Ability to: Communicate effectively by telephone, face-to-face, and in writing with tax preparers, taxpayers, teammates, and supervisors, Research and analyze accounts; recognize errors during review of tax returns, applications, and reports. Apply various policies, procedures and instructions in the area of tax administration; work on broad assignments with responsibility for daily decision-making; organize and coordinate daily functions.