Here at Action For Humanity, we have an exciting opportunity for a Chief Revenue Officer to join our team based in Salford, Greater Manchester. You will join us on a full-time basis, acting as an executive leader who will drive the charity’s success.
Action For Humanity is a charity that aims to provide aid and assistance to people affected by natural and man-made disasters. Our vision is a world of crises-resilient communities. Our mission is to mobilise and respond to emergencies and critical needs through humanitarian, development and peace-building action, helping affected communities survive, recover and build a better future.
AFH has recently developed a new 5-year strategy, where one of the key strategic goals is to diversify resources for growth, securing sustainable income and strengthening strategic partnerships. In order to help achieve this goal, AFH is recruiting a Chief Revenue Officer. The successful candidate, reporting directly to the CEO and serving in the Executive Leadership Team, will have five key areas of focus: firstly, they will develop and execute the community fundraising strategy and lead, build, and evolve the fundraising team to strengthen AFH’s community fundraising; secondly, they will lead on entering AFH into emerging global markets including in Europe, North America and the Middle East; thirdly, they will develop corporate partnerships and funding streams; and fourthly, they will oversee AFH’s marketing and online marketing to increase AFH’s fundraising capability and brand exposure.
Developing, implementing, and monitoring the income generation and marketing & communications plans will be critical. The role holder will provide a strategic as well as operational focus to maximise the potential of AFH’s current teams, increase income generation and brand exposure. H/she will drive integration and alignment between all of the mentioned revenue-related functions.
The Chief Revenue Officer’s main duties will be:
1) Community Fundraising
- Develop and execute a community fundraising strategy, building the AFH brand in the community and effectively communicating it to internal and external audiences.
- Lead, build, and evolve the fundraising team to strengthen AFH’s community fundraising, developing and training all team members, to optimise community fundraising revenue.
- Develop fundraising plans & calendars for the team, oversee the execution of all fundraising activities, and continuously evaluate and improve fundraising practices as required.
- Support AFH’s Fundraising Consultants, managing and attending live TV, Radio, and online appeals.
- Manage and arrange deployments and field visits, acting as the central point of contact for travellers as well as country offices.
- Manage all reporting of fundraising activity, including for trustees, Finance, donors, programmes, fundraisers.
- Work with Finance on fundraising income reconciliation and monitor income against targets.
2) Corporate partnerships
- To set up and lead the corporate partnership unit to attract and maximise income generation opportunities from corporate partnerships, grant making sources, philanthropies, high net worth individuals, major gift and legacy promotion activities.
- To oversee and manage long-term relationships with the above, forging new business opportunities.
- Enhance relationship building with AFH, the Board, and external stakeholders, to create an active network for identifying and building income streams from corporate sector.
3) New and emerging markets
- To play a leading role in the development of current international fundraising offices such as Canada and France.
- Identify potential emerging countries AFH can enter and present to the board of trustees.
- Provide strategic and operational plans for the set up new international offices, including managing all legal and governance and compliance documentation.
- Set up emerging countries unit at HQ level.
- Ensure proper and effective management of all fundraising and partner offices
4) Marketing & Online Marketing
- Build AFH’s external fundraising profile, and position AFH effectively as an impactful, trustworthy, and efficient charity of choice for donors, in addition to expanding the fundraising activities outside of the traditional market which the AFH has focused on.
- Oversee key stakeholders, including the AFH’s internal Marketing & Comms and IT teams and external IT consultants, to build our new website, with a specific focus on increasing income generation.
- Work closely with the Marketing & Comms team to integrate an income generation focus into marketing & comms plans and campaigns.
- Drive integration and alignment between all of above 4 revenue-related functions.
- Ensure relevant policies and procedures are developed and followed, and ensure compliance with the Fundraising Regulator’s Code of Conduct
- Act as the risk manager for the relevant units
What we are looking for in our Chief Revenue Officer:
- Educated to degree level, with bachelors or higher (essential)
- Qualification in Leadership/Management (desirable but not essential)
- Qualification in fundraising (desirable but not essential)
- In-depth current knowledge of community fundraising, corporate partnerships, income generation, and marketing and online marketing in the humanitarian sector, in the UK and in emerging markets
- 5 to 7 years’ experience in a similar role
- A proven strategic, commercial, and operational approach to leading a fundraising/revenue function, including line managing numerous people
- Creative income generation activities within and outside of traditional community fundraising, backed up with a strong understanding of the market
- Proven business development success with securing new partnerships and opportunities
- Highly attuned and adaptable interpersonal skills with the ability to develop, foster, maintain, and utilise a network of relationships
- Able to build and implement a programme to identify and foster medium and long term contacts for future income generation opportunities
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills with the ability to act in a diplomatic, credible, and effective manner
- Able to earn the respect and confidence of a range of senior and influential contacts
- Ability to think strategically and plan ahead, whilst also being flexible and reacting swiftly to changing needs and demanding priorities
- An excellent planning and project management approach with the ability to ensure varied activity is coordinated and coherent, to support others in this approach
- Resilience and the ability to deal with high pressure and difficult situations whilst supporting and maintaining the confidence of others
- Ability to identify problems and to work quickly to find long term, practical and diplomatic solutions
- Ability to provide inspiring leadership with appropriate line management ability, ensuring clear delegation of day to day operations to the team
- Able to work at a strategic and visionary level but also manage detail and complexities if required without relinquishing and maintaining focus on the bigger picture
- Ability to be a flexible and adaptable team player who can engage fully with their position on the senior team, and able to work transparently with peers, the Board and elated groups/committees
- Strong financial skills and numerical analysis with the ability to produce credible effective data or reports and discuss details with confidence
- Highly developed and effective verbal, presentation, and written skills.
- Strong written and spoken English essential
- Other languages such as Arabic, French, Urdu or Bengali beneficial but not essential
Benefits of joining us include:
- Generous holiday allowance;
- Matched pension contributions;
- Hybrid working arrangement and flexible working hours;
- Enhanced sick pay;
- Structured annual performance development review process, which informs annual salary reviews and involves training and development provision;
- 24/7 access to a private GP, emotional support including counselling, and legal and financial advice.
- Hundreds of discounts and special offers, for shopping, dining out, joining a gym, and more;
- Modern office in central Manchester location with free parking, break out room, and prayer facilities;
- Annual away days/retreats involving training, teambuilding, outdoor and social activities;
- Subsidised weekly sports activities and quarterly social activities.
This would be an ideal role for a dynamic professional and leader looking to make a difference in a rewarding leadership role within the Charity Sector. We are looking to appoint this role ASAP and will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis so for the best chance of success please apply today – we would love to hear from you.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. Action For Humanity also participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment.
By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.