The Washington Post is looking for a creative, seasoned, entrepreneurial, and multimedia revenue leader who will develop innovative solutions that drive top-line revenue in subscriptions, advertising, and partnerships, helping us shape our revenue business model for years to come.Motivation
More than a skillful sales and marketing executive, you have deep digital experience, having shouldered hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue, encompassing digital, custom, programmatic, print advertising, and subscriptions; you understand the value of all media platforms and how they interrelate. You can manage a complex business that sits at the forefront of subscriptions, advertising sales and digital strategy and are skillful at building digital business models for the future. Equally important, you can uncover and develop revenue opportunities that maximize the interplay of a B2B and B2C business. You are also a natural advocate for the consumer and their experience of our products. You are driven by growth and possess penetrating insight into how a subscriptions or membership-oriented business can grow. Creative and innovative, you push the organization to think expansively about translating growth potential into results. And yet, you push in a way that is collaborative and diplomatic, able to synchronize efforts across multiple departments, including product, engineering, analytics, and news. You possess an innate sense of where the money is and know how to shape and sell products that add materially to our revenue-generating engine. You are an agile, ambidextrous leader – comfortable with high-dollar, B2B client relations and creating new businesses as well as data analysis and the human side of business. You have unparalleled business and financial acumen that enable you to distinguish between revenue opportunities that will yield material results from those that hold little promise of success. You possess an entrepreneurial yet disciplined orientation to managing complex and evolving businesses. Talented, high-performing people want to work for you; you can inspire and motivate while also instilling discipline and focus toward achieving goals. You are a highly collaborative leader who can cultivate strong relationships with peer executives who lead other, equally complex aspects of the business, including the newsroom, engineering, finance, production, and distribution & customer care.Structure
The Chief Revenue Officer reports to the Publisher & CEO and is part of the senior executive team that leads The Washington Post in long-term strategy, planning, investment, growth, change, culture, policy, and innovation. The CRO oversees large and complex revenue functions that include the digital, programmatic, international, and print sales teams; the client support and operations team; the commercial technology development team; the advertising marketing team; and the subscriptions marketing team. The successful candidate must build solid relationships and work effectively with leaders across the company, including editorial, engineering, client solutions, PR, marketing, finance, legal, HR, analytics, production, circulation, security, etc.Requirements
- At least 10 years of revenue generating experience—advertising, subscriptions, and ideally both—digital business development, and strategic leadership.
- Extensive experience with digital strategy, pricing, product development, complex sales strategies, negotiations, B2B and B2C sales tactics.
- Proven success in setting the strategic direction of large, complex revenue-generating organizations that align with short- and long-term company goals, executing with focus and discipline to exceed targets.
- Choreograph our efforts around pricing and access for subscribers, working closely with the finance and analytics teams to effectively test and model various strategies.
- Strong analytical and financial acumen, successfully applied to distinguish between revenue opportunities that can yield material profitability within two to three years from those that cannot.
- Proven success in creating products across multiple platforms, implementing marketing strategies and finding ways to generate revenue from new and existing products.
- Clear and unquestionable ability to lead, motivate, and inspire a large, talented and diverse workforce.
- Actively shape the subscriptions product and reader experience over time, while advocating for thoughtful investments in the product that result in sustainable growth.
- Increase our collective intelligence around the intersection of price, access, volume, marketing, platforms, and reader experience, such that we find the best approach to maximize long-term, global growth.
- Dynamically create a culture where all employees understand and advocate for the growth of our subscriptions business.
- Undergraduate degree in business or related field; MBA and previous media experience preferred.
This role is based in The Washington Post's headquarters in downtown Washington, D.C. If the successful candidate is not already based in the D.C. region, relocation will be necessary. This role is based in the office five days per week when not traveling on company business.About The Washington Post
When you join The Post, you are joining a mission to connect, inform, and enlighten those around the globe with the highest caliber, most trustworthy news and information. Our multicultural, multi-generational workforce is constantly creating and innovating, leading the media and technology industries to better solutions. We welcome all perspectives and celebrate diverse backgrounds. Whether you contribute to journalism, engineering, finance, or marketing, you are helping define the future of news. We continue to shine a light into the darkness and hope you will join us.
Wherever you are in your life or career, The Washington Post offers comprehensive and inclusive benefits for every step of your journey:
Benefits may vary based on the job, full-time or part-time schedule, location, and collectively bargained status.
- Competitive medical, dental and vision coverage
- Company-paid pension and 401(k) match
- Three weeks of vacation and up to three weeks of paid sick leave
- Nine paid holidays and two personal days
- 20 weeks paid parental leave for any new parent
- Robust mental health resources
- Backup care and caregiver concierge services
- Gender affirming services
- Pet insurance
- Free Post digital subscription
- Leadership and career development programs
The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.
The innovation doesn’t end in the Newsroom – dozens of teams power The Washington Post
. We are now hiring the next innovator – how will you Impact Tomorrow