The Sr. Director, Global Sales Operations is responsible for partnering with senior commercial and divisional leadership and support teams to deepen sales team knowledge and get results. Leads through effective liaison between the sales, marketing and finance functions. It maintains ultimate responsibility for growing sales force efficiency through sales process and systems, training programs, data reporting, sales tools, and communications protocols.
This role will be responsible for the development and implementation of global strategic projects that enable market-based standard processes to be scaled enterprise-wide, will demonstrate data from multiple sources to provide guidance and governance to optimize performance and complement field-based leadership.
This leader, located in the US/Grand Island or Carlsbad, will lead a globally dispersed Sales Operations team, while having as first priority the responsibility for managing, rebuilding and enabling North America Sales Operations function and team.
Sales Operations Team:
Lead a globally dispersed sales operations team, and rebuild global sales operations framework and function. Establish a sales operations structure and environment that will promote and implement “best-in-class” strategy and operational models to deliver high and consistent service levels to the organization to grow revenue. Lead a distributed team and directly build/run North America Sales Operations team.
Sales Process & Tools:
Responsible for design, pilot, and deliver a limited number of tools that expedite the execution of key sales activities. Drive continuous improvement of key commercial processes (e.g. forecasting, opportunity management, demos, quoting, lead management) and alignment with field systems and tools. Lead and participate in special projects and teams to drive business objectives, best-practice sharing and process standardization.
Systems & Data Integrity:
Ensure all CRM processes provide a positive return on investment to sales reps which enables us to consistently gather high-quality data and provide clear transparency into the sales pipeline at all stages. Develops and maintains other IT/mobility tools intended to increase sales force productivity. Maintains responsibility for organizational change and training the sales force following new tool rollouts and on CRM elements.
Sales Analytics & Territory Planning:
Engages in the measurement and analysis of sales force data and drive sales analysis activities that are aligned with our commercial, channel and division business strategies. Provide analytical support and counsel to improve strategies, coverage models and sales team configurations to enhance sales effectiveness. Ensure planning, forecasting and budgeting efforts are integrated with other sales operations processes within LSG, coordinating with finance to align with business unit and division forecasts. Act as primary partner with the Global Analysis/e-Business team, representing the needs of LSG organization.
Goals & Sales Compensation:
Develops and uses a consistent methodology to establish meaningful, yet fair and achievable sales goals. This role has ownership of the Year-End processes for org design, product bag alignment, SKU alignment, reporting system implementation, etc. Key contributor to the design of sales incentive programs that provide market-competitive pay, reinforce sales strategy, and align with business objectives. Implements sales comp plan designs, handling communications of these plan designs, and accurately paying out against the plan designs themselves. This role maintains cadence for, documents and establishes the dispute resolution and compensation council processes.
Sales Capabilities Development & Training:
Drive a commitment sales culture through the assessment and development of sales capabilities globally, for current and future needs. Develop and deliver curricula to address targeted employee segments, key knowledge and skill gaps. Training is targeted to individual needs and is embedded in daily workflow. Measure effectiveness at a complexity level appropriate to the perceived return on measurement cost.
Operating Mechanisms, Communications, Change Management and Events:
Run and streamline communications between sales and internal teams, through a set of cross organizational and global mechanisms that facilitate alignment and collaboration, and reduce duplication of reporting. Implement and lead commercial reviews that support Division and Group monthly and quarterly business reviews, and provide Commercial leaders and their staff a comprehensive process to drive action and accountability. Is focal point for driving alignment and common value proposition. Aligns overall global themes for annual sales events focused with key themes to be addressed in the coming year. Designs and implements global recognition events for top performers.
Minimum education and experience requirements:
- BA/BS in major in business or technical field preferred; MBA, advanced degree or equivalent professional experience.
- Minimum of 15 years of sales operations experience in a complex, multilevel manufacturing environment preferred, including working with and supporting global teams, and presenting with executive-level commercial leads; 10 years in a leadership role.
Experience to be successful:
- Excellent process improvement skills and track record.
- Demonstrated ability to operate independently with broad guidance against a framework of defined business objectives.
- Experience with standard processes and challenges of an impactful field sales organization.
- Experience with financial planning and analysis and financial root cause analysis is preferred.
- Experience defining, implementing and improving Sales Compensation processes and procedures required.
- Experience with data warehousing and CRM tools required; Seibel, Saleforce.com and Cognos reporting tools desired.
- Highly motivated, passionate self-starter, analytical, meticulous and operationally-focused.
- Ability to think through and implement creative solutions.
- Exceptional communication skills including ability to take an independent stance when communicating with cross functional customers. Demonstrated focus on being able to translate data and metrics into predictable, improvement business insight.
- Excellent relationship building skills.
- Experience leading and motivating a high-performance team and objectively measuring employee performance to goals.
- Ability to effectively lead priorities across the organization and adjust as needed, respectfully resolving conflicts that may arise.
- Expert Microsoft Office skills required.
- 20-25% travel.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Compensation And Benefits
The salary range estimated for this position based in New York is $192,700.00-$289,000.00.
This position may also be eligible to receive a variable annual bonus based on company, team, and/or individual performance results in accordance with company policy. We offer a comprehensive Total Rewards package that our U.S. colleagues and their families can count on, which includes:
- A choice of national medical and dental plans, and a national vision plan, including health incentive programs
- Employee assistance and family support programs, including commuter benefits and tuition reimbursement
- At least 120 hours paid time off (PTO), 10 paid holidays annually, paid parental leave (3 weeks for bonding and 8 weeks for caregiver leave), accident and life insurance, and short- and long-term disability in accordance with company policy
- Retirement and savings programs, such as our competitive 401(k) U.S. retirement savings plan
- Employees’ Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) offers eligible colleagues the opportunity to purchase company stock at a discount
For more information on our benefits, please visit: https://jobs.thermofisher.com/global/en/total-rewards