L0397 Driveway Home Office
Senior Director, Driveway Sales Operations
The Senior Director of Driveway Operations will lead multiple teams and is responsible for the design and implementation of a strategies to sell and acquire new and used vehicles through an online platform. The Senior Director has overall responsibility for determining the Annual Operating Plan sales and purchase volumes. Full ownership of the processes and teams to achieve these volumes. This team is a significant contributor to the Profit and Loss of Driveway. This role is responsible for developing a sales strategy for both the Sale of vehicles to, and the purchasing of vehicles from, Driveways Customers.
The Senior Director of Driveway Operations will ensure a robust online purchasing experience for Driveways Customers and timely and profitable acquisition of used vehicle inventory and remarketing of the inventory to the LAD store network.
Through problem-solving and analysis this role will have a significant impact on process improvement strategies and contribute to gaining maximum efficiency throughout the organization as Driveway continues its fast-paced growth
This role is a key, senior, leadership role within Driveway and LAD and would need to create a culture that facilitates Customer Focused, investment-minded and metric-based team members and is an advisor and confidant to the executive team and other business leaders
The Senior Director, Driveway Operations, reports to the Vice President Driveway
- Develop a sales strategy for SHOP, the online sale of vehicles to Driveway Customers, aligning the sales strategy with the marketing strategy to ensure the optional spend and achievement of SHOP, volume, profitability and Customer Satisfaction metrics
- Develop a purchase strategy for SELL, the online purchase of vehicles from Driveway Customers, aligning the purchase strategy with the marketing strategy to ensure the optional spend and achievement of SELL, volume, profitability and Customer Satisfaction metrics
- Responsible for strategic planning, direction and overall performance of the Inventory Procurement and Management and the development of the Algorithm to calculate the most accurate offer price for vehicles that Driveway purchases
- Implement strategies and improvements to reduce the total transaction time for both SHOP and SELL
- Actively monitor the external environment and market conditions and adjust the purchase and sales strategies accordingly, understand and derive implications for the business
- Direct efforts to improve profitability through cost reduction, cost avoidance, and process improvement/loss prevention
- Develop, refine, and align operational performance metrics, processes, tools, systems, and behaviors in a comprehensive system for performance management to ensure organizational objectives are consistently achieved
- Lead the Driveway Care Centers (DCCs) are responsible for customer engagement, financing, and sales, while creating an excellent customer experience
- Collaborate with the Marketing and Customer Loyalty teams to develop the Customer Lifecycle strategy for Driveway
- Direct all facets of acquiring used-car inventory through relationship development, research, online and off-site auctions, dealers, rental companies, fleet, customers or any other available avenues
- Develop and oversee a team to appraise vehicles, understand vehicle condition, negotiate price, make financially sound purchasing decisions, handle any potential arbitration issues, and ensure timely processing and transport of all purchases
- Delegate responsibilities between functional managers to achieve optimal operating results and continuous improvement
- Foster relationships with all Stakeholders and especially Store leadership to support and achieve the Driveway strategy
- Successfully coordinate integration of acquired stores into Driveway processes through communications and training
- Develop leaders on the team and prepare them for increased responsibility and growth
- Develop and deliver presentations to executive management
- Direct regular staff meetings to ensure communication of strategy and resolution of issues
- Manage significant cross-functional projects to ensure goals and timeline are met
- Manage and monitor key performance metrics and ensure that all checks and balances are in place and operational
- Other duties as assigned
Skills And Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science or Business is required. MBA is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years in progressively larger and more complex leadership positions.
- Experience in Inventory Procurement Management.
- Strong knowledge and project management experience in the areas of product forecasting, demand planning and inventory replenishment processes and systems.
- Comprehensive knowledge of business operations and strategic planning skills required.
- Excellent leadership, analytical, mathematical, computer, and organizational skills required.
- Skilled in creative problem-solving techniques including quantitative and optimization modeling and analysis.
- Ability to set and analyze budgets, the business plan and capital expenditures required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Successful track record in managing the effective deployment of resources, systems and personnel to enable the achievement of organizational objectives and support the overall growth of the company.
- Extensive negotiation and human relations skills are required
- Experience leading a disbursed team across multiple geographies
- Experience consulting with and building relationships with dealership and Home Office leaders
- Capable of regular travel nationwide (50%) Competencies
- Create the strategy of the enterprise/business function. Anticipate future trends to find value in competitive strategies
- Articulate a compelling vision and provide direction. Executive presence and ability to effectively communicate and influence at an executive level
- Deliver results through leaders by prioritizing goals and operational focuses; hold leaders accountable
- Create a high-performance culture with a clear scoreboard; build internal and external bench strength
- Prepare for success through attracting, retaining, and growing high performing leaders, ready with a succession plan in place
- Anticipate and identify the need for change; dedicate the required resources
- Seek proficiency in people leadership, business management, strategy, systems thinking, vision, inspiration, and innovation.
- Directly partner and collaborate with C-Suite. Drive cross-functional initiatives across the business that create value. Leverage a broad network across the business and externally
- Does the right thing, takes action and adapts to change
- Self-motivates, believes in accountability, focuses on results, makes plans, and follows through
- Shares best practices, desires to keep learning, measures performance and adapts to continuously improve results
- Thrives on a team, stays positive, lives our values
- Build company culture through actions, coaching, and mentoring. Participate as a sponsor in learning programs and ESG initiatives
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.*
- Up to 1/3 of time: standing, walking, lifting up to 25 pounds
- Up to 2/3 of time: sitting, kneeling, reaching, talking, hearing
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
NOTE: This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the job. While this list is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, the company reserves the right to revise the functions and duties of the job or to require that additional or different tasks be performed.
We Offer Best In Class Industry Benefits
- Competitive pay
- Medical, Dental and Vision Plans
- Paid Holidays & PTO
- Short and Long-Term Disability
- Paid Life Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Lithia Learning Center
- Vehicle Purchase Discounts
- Wellness Programs
High School graduate or equivalent, 18 years or older required. Acceptable driving record and a valid driver's license in your state of residence necessary for select roles. We are a drug free workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity (regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status). We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.