About The Organization
For 20 years, The Opportunity Network (OppNet) has ignited the drive, curiosity, and agency of students from historically and systematically underrepresented communities to connect them to college access and success, internships, career opportunities, networks and social capital. With an operating budget of approximately $14M and a team of over 70 full time employees, our client operates three core programs, OppNet Fellows, Career Fluency® Partnerships, and Opportunity Ignited. Collectively, these programs serve over 40,000 students across 25 states and have impacted the practices and cultures of schools, community organizations, and employers across the nation.
All of the work OppNet leads is in service of realizing its vision of a nation connected through vibrant communities and networks actively in pursuit of educational and career equity – a nation where all young people can freely create their own path to enduring success that honors their passions, ambitions, and full identities. The OppNet team ethos is characterized by an authentic belief in the power, agency, and assets of our youth, a dedication to building an inclusive community driving toward social justice, an ongoing commitment to undoing the enduring impact of historical inequities, and active, continuous learning as an aspiring antiracist organization.
To learn more about the organization and its impact, please visit their website.
About The Position
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) will be directly responsible for successfully creating, leading, and implementing an integrated revenue generation and resource development strategy, while building new and maintaining existing relationships to drive OppNet's visibility, impact, strategic partnerships, and financial resources. The incoming CDO will serve as a lead external representative of OppNet to its community of donors and external stakeholders, expanding its networks to include new donors, and increasing its national recognition in philanthropic circles.
The CDO reports to the Chief Executive Officer and oversees three distinct but complementary teams committed to the organization's institutional growth, performance, and advancement Institutional Giving; Development Operations and Corporate Engagement; and Individual Giving and Special Events. The CDO leads OppNet's development team of 13, responsible for cultivating and securing major gifts from individuals, corporations, foundations, and more. Reporting directly to the CDO is a Senior Director of Development (Events and Major Gifts), a Managing Director of Development (Corporate and Development Operations), and a Senior Director (Institutional Giving). The incoming CDO will also partner with the CEO to maximize OppNet's third-party communications, brand, and PR agency to amplify OppNet's national visibility through coordinated communications, public relations, marketing, and social media functions.
The CDO is a member of the C-Suite and the Enterprise Leadership team. In this capacity the CDO provides strategic leadership in service of OppNet's organizational health and its national growth as it implements its current strategic plan. This is an ideal opportunity for a proven frontline revenue generator and people leader to head a department that will ensure the organization has the financial resources needed to serve more young people and grow its impact nationally. Candidates motivated by leading relationships with influential donors, structuring deals, and making innovative asks will be uniquely poised for success in implementing the organization's fundraising plan.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To
Revenue Generation, Development, and Institutional Advancement
- In partnership with the CEO, serve as a lead external representative of OppNet, managing a portfolio of major donors and supporting the team in reaching its annual Board approved 2024 budget of $13.9M
- Execute Opp Net's strategic fundraising plan to reach its 2024 revenue targets, and refine and refresh the plan and targets annually in coordination with senior leadership and the development team
- Work with the C-Suite leadership team and across the department to create an annual revenue generation plan that includes existing, renewable, increasing, expanded, and new streams of funding
- Directly manage and lead relationships, a portfolio of major donors and prospects including relationships with institutional and corporate partners
- Build revenue generation models that support OppNet's annual revenue strategies and the long-term implementation of its strategic plan
- Continue to build OppNet's competency in individual giving and major gifts via the new Senior Director of Development position
- Oversee the special events strategy, working in partnership with CEO and the board to secure chairs, honorees, sponsorships, and VIP guests
- Provide strategic oversight to donor materials and external stakeholder communications, particularly as it relates to OppNet's network of funders
Board Development and Engagement
- Design and manage a portfolio of Board members, leveraging key members for important asks
- Collaborate with and support those Board members in spreading the word about OppNet through special events like its annual gala and targeted cultivation strategies
- Work closely with CEO, Board Nominating Committee, and Board Chair to build a pipeline of competitive and diverse board candidates and create a robust Board development plan that ensures that Board members are trained in and ready to engage in donor cultivation strategies
- Attend board meetings and board committee meetings and report on development activities as needed, in coordination with the CEO
- Serve as leadership representation for the organization and articulate our mission to external constituents
- Together with the CEO, increase the board's overall understanding and capacity to cultivate new donors and to fundraise through narratives that uphold OppNet's community's agency and humanity
- Work with the CEO to ensure board members are engaged and energized by their association with the organization
- Provide opportunities for Board members to deepen their understanding of OppNet's programmatic work in service of their leadership and stewardship of the organization's community guidelines and active core values
Organizational Leadership and Management
- Recruit, train, manage, and mentor development staff to foster a culture of collaboration, cohesion, and balance while achieving OppNet's growth targets
- Partner with and provide thought partnership to Managing Director of Development to review departmental infrastructure, systems, and structures to ensure alignment with the organization's revenue goals, implementing new systems and practices that enable success and support future revenue growth
- Provide and model leadership that inspires and motivates all staff to meet the full potential of their jobs
- Provide regular analytic reports for C-Suite and the Board that synthesize financial health and revenue forecasts
- Partner with the Enterprise Leadership Team to develop clear cross-departmental processes that foster collaboration and create an understanding of and appreciation for the development function
- Use data analytics to drive decision-making for the team and across the organization Play an active role in advancing OppNet's equity goals internally as a department and in collaboration with other organization-wide commitments
- Minimum ten years of frontline fundraising and donor management experience, preferably in nonprofit or educational settings
- Strong knowledge of best practices within the development profession, including individual giving, major gifts, institutional/corporate giving, sponsorships, major gifts, capital campaigns, etc.
- A track record of identifying, leading, and closing six-figure asks with a focus on major gifts; experience closing seven figure gifts highly preferred
- Ability to exercise good judgment, to demonstrate an understanding of ethics related to development activities, and to use discretion in interactions with donors, prospects, volunteers, and members of the OppNet community
- Ability to communicate and work effectively within a diverse community of staff and external partners
- Ability to analyze pipeline data to identify trends and patterns for revenue generation and resource allocation
- High levels of emotional intelligence and relationship-building intuition
- Demonstrated experience in representing an organization to external and varied audiences
- Demonstrated success with board development and engagement
- Strong track record in building teams, coaching for performance, and retaining talent
- The ability to develop and implement effective revenue generation strategies and models
- Ability to map and execute on action plans that align with high-level strategies
- An excellent, thoughtful, persuasive, and clear communicator (verbal and written)
- Passion and commitment to OppNet's organizational mission and its imperative to become a more equitable, anti-racist and anti-oppressive organization.
- Self-starter with a proven ability to meet and complete multiple tasks with solid deadlines with full follow-through
- Ability to travel for key in-person meetings in accordance with expansion opportunities
This role is based in New York, New York and the organization currently operates in a remote-hybrid model with an expectation to be at external meetings regularly and in the office on an as-needed basis.
Compensation And Benefits
The salary for this role is $205K - $211K and a 5% signing bonus on the base.
Opportunity Network is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, or current employment status. Like Opportunity Network, On-Ramps is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. On-Ramps is committed to the inclusion of all qualified individuals in the hiring process, including but not limited to those with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation(s) to participate in the application or interview process, please contact email@example.com.