The Chief Sales and Marketing Officer is a key partner within the Executive team with responsibilities to set an overall marketing and digital vision that helps drive growth across the Company’s portfolio of hospitality and entertainment assets. This position will oversee the entire marketing department as well as the Winery sales via all formats. The Chief Sales and Marketing Officer will develop, own and lead the brand marketing communication strategy, including positioning and messaging, brand campaigns, brand activation, marketing plans, creating engaging advertising, pricing strategies and expanding the value of the company’s brand. The overall goal will be to drive awareness of and affinity for the brand, as well as clear recognition and articulation of City Winery’s value proposition. This role will focus on the strategy to maximize the selling of our company’s products which includes, but not limited to concert tickets, wine onsite/offsite, wine dinners, restaurant reservations and walk-ins, memberships and private events. This role will strategize with the CEO on expansion of the brand across all channels with keen observations of the market, competition, and our various industry trends. The Chief Sales and Marketing Officer will refocus the marketing team to correlate their work to it manifested in sales within every area of the company. This role is expected to partner with our internal resources, and external agencies to develop engaging storytelling and creative assets (The Chief Sales and Marketing Officer will oversee the design/creative services team) across the marketing mix, including paid, owned and earned media channels (e.g., radio, social media, events, PR, packaging, etc.). As the lead of the brand planning process, this individual will help define target customer segments and develop strategies and determine marketing mix and messaging for each of these segments. This role will partner with our internal divisions including music, culinary and beverage teams to design, execute and analyze research to identify consumer insights. The executive must have experience working in a multi-unit operation, be willing to travel to all locations on a regular basis and put in the extra effort mandated by this critical position.
To maximize sales with the most efficient mix of marketing techniques across all forms of media and promotion while growing a customer base around global and well-regarded brand.
Overview of Responsibilities
• Lead development of brand marketing communication strategy and brand building plans, including the creation and execution of integrated marketing communication plan
• Lead strategic development of marketing content and assets.
• Oversee CRM, branding/creative, media planning/buying, organic/paid social, PR, promotional marketing, and digital marketing.
• Excellent knowledge of and working relationships in media, public relations and hospitality industries.
• Ability to pitch to strategic partners and execute national promotional programs.
• Strong management skills and multi-market supervision experience are a must.
• Manage overall field marketing teams including communication, activation and approvals for venue level marketing efforts.
• Develop and implement strategies and initiatives to drive covers into the restaurant & bar.
• Work closely with venue Marketing Directors to ensure support of all local marketing.
• Coordinate promotional strategies and tactics with corporate and venue marketing teams to impact positive ROI.
• Supervise the development, creation and planned execution of all design collateral.
• Oversee and develop the budget for all expenses related to marketing in every single unit. Examine current mix of spend, review ROAS with e-commerce team, review all forms of existing and proposed spend with each marketing manager.
• Support retail sales and other revenue programs.
• Lead day-to-day marketing operations to ensure that brand initiatives are on-target, on-budget and aligned with the brand identity and objectives
• Deliver a strong turn-key marketing program for City Winery wines across all locations and see the implementation of such a plan into action to push sales growth for on-premises purchases and off-premises consumption.
• Create cohesion concerning on-site DTC (direct to customer) sales strategies working closely with the local GM, Beverage Director, and Concierge departments
• Manage weekly marketing/content calendar
• Work closely with the programming team to weekly review the local programming and marketing to highlight shortfalls in sales and adjust marketing spend accordingly.
• Drive business development, including sourcing and securing marketing partnerships and event/sponsorship opportunities that build the company's brand
• Uncover key consumer insights, research and food/ingredient trend reporting.
• Lead new product/services marketing launch planning.
• Drive Vino File Memberships and Loyalty Programs.
• Increase email subscriptions and followers on all Social Media platforms.
•Review and understand the Public Relations engagement in every market the company
operates. On an on-going basis review the success and value of each PR firm and adjust
•Review & Develop brand standards with the Art Department to make sure the visual materials from emails to posters achieve the maximum sales goals, while remaining artistic and consistent with our desired brand.
•Run the weekly marketing call with an emphasis on sharing best practices and on-going
correlation review of what the KPI’s achieved were based on the direct spending.
•Membership programs (Vinofile & Vinofile Plus) must be clearly communicated in all
formats and directly with operations to reach all of our customers on a daily basis.
•Develop strategic relationships to “trade” value (i.e. dinners, VIP experiences, private events, access, etc. ) in exchange for a “partners” product (media, customer acquisition options, etc).
•Philanthropic push needs to be re-established whereby all markets connect more locally with important charity’s offering auction items, discounts on wine, and strategic relationships to firmly establish strong relationships.
•Review and oversee all responses for every Yelp, RESY, and other consumer negative statements and make sure addressed in a timely manner, working closely with operations to remedy.
Your Strengths & Qualifications
- 10+ years of brand management and marketing experience
- Music industry and/or hospitality/restaurant industry experience a plus
- 7+ years of direct people management experience, including overseeing an entire marketing division
- BA in Marketing and Communications, MBA is a plus.
- Experience in e-commerce, DTC branded service model, and/or fast-paced start-up environment preferred
- Proven experience in both brand building and brand development, strong skills in developing marketing strategies, and a knack for effective storytelling
- Superior interpersonal, relationship management, influencing skills and the ability to work cross functionally with a broad range of stakeholders
- A love for consumer insights and a passion for food, wine, music and philanthropy.
- Self-motivated and highly collaborative, with a strong ability to work across the organization and bring multi-departmental teams together to drive high visibility projects under tight deadlines.
- Experience with creative development process, media buying, traditional media campaign production and execution
- Creative, idea leadership, and desire to pioneer (comfortable with ambiguity and “finding a way”)
- Proficiency in project management software, basic online services e.g. Mail Chimp, CMS side of major social networks (FB, Twitter, Google+ etc)
- Positive, self-motivated, growth mindset with high EQ
Actual starting pay is determined by various factors, including but not limited to: relevant experience, skill set, qualifications, and other business and organizational needs. Please note that compensation ranges may differ for candidates in other locations.
Base Pay Range: $150,000-$175,000
Also Included: Benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at City Winery. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Additionally, City Winery participates in the E-Verify Program in certain locations, as required by law.