The S&OP Director is vital to REI's success as it involves standing up and leading process improvements related to Sales and Operations Planning. Reporting directly to the VP of Planning & Inventory Management, the role focuses on driving cross-divisional enterprise processes by coordinating updates to product portfolio changes, evaluating supply and demand constraints, and optimizing operational resources to enhance service and product availability for REI's members. The S&OP Director leads a small team, whose primary responsibility is to identify and highlight data insights related to exception management within sales, inventory, and operational planning. The goal of the S&OP team is to foster collaboration among various divisions such as Integrated Value Chain, Merchandising, Co-op Brands, Commercial, Marketing, and Finance.
This position collaborates closely with GMMs (General Merchandise Managers), Planning Directors, Network VPs (DC & Logistics), and Retail Operation Directors/VPs to ensure alignment in long-term inventory planning, product flow timing, and strategies that contribute to REI's sales objectives and financial performance. In the shorter term, the role is responsible for overseeing the S&OE process, aiming to improve business outcomes through transparent communication and collaborative decision-making. The role also emphasizes collaboration, agility, and resilience in adapting to evolving business conditions.
The S&OP Director is expected to act in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
Leading the Way (team leadership, coaching and development responsibilities for this “manager of staff”)
- Implements, maintains, and continuously improves all Sales and Operations Planning processes supporting Co-op events, new product launches, new programs, new stores, and new distribution nodes.
- Engages with multiple teams across the enterprise including but not limited to Marketing, Finance, Product Development, Commercial, to understand all demand and market influences that impact the timing and volume of demand.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Develops constructive and effective relationships with direct reports and cross-functional partners
- Holds the ability to maintain credibility and presence within the broader business and across key cross-functional leaders.
- Inspires to achieve superior business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Provides coaching, direction, and conducts performance reviews for employees to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances, and issues, and takes appropriate action.
Your Planning & Navigating Requirements (the plan for creating and executing job responsibilities, and how the job ensures they are implemented)
Responsibilities And Qualifications
- Establishes, implements, and maintains best practice methodologies for Sales and Operations Planning.
- Scales the Sales and Operations Planning with REI’s vision statement.
- Collaborates to set the vision for Demand Planning data flow at level of detail needed to improve long term and mid-term capacity planning.
- Evaluates tools and processes to enhance the Sales and Operations Planning practice.
- Drive improvements of inventory health, such as days inventory on hand, inventory turns, aged and obsolete materials, inventory dollars and expired stock to defined target levels.
- Leads the S&OP monthly consensus meetings (i.e., Supply Planning Review, Leadership Planning Review) to ensure long term balance of supply, demand, inventory, and capacity.
- Identifies key performance metrics needed to track, trend, and inform on S&OP progress as well as identify and mitigate business risks.
- Validates in-season, company-level working plan with senior leadership.
- Stays current on industry best practices in S&OP and merchandising inventory management processes.
- Aggressively drives current and future processes and systems utilization within areas of responsibility.
- Facilitate clear cross-division communication between Merch Product, Planning & Inventory Management, Retail, Value Chain, Digital, Marketing, Co-op Brands teams for the purpose of aligning S&OP inputs, decisions, and delivering action plans.
- 8-10 years of Supply chain mgt and experience including management, forecasting, replenishment, allocation and analysis.
- Expert Knowledge of Supply Chain Planning, Inventory Planning and S&OP.
- Knowledge of industry best practices for analytics and inventory management processes and how they support the long range SIOP practice
- Demonstrated Leadership experience of effective teamworking. Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Working knowledge of data flow, product information management, with operational systems (WMS) and replenishment systems.
- Influence up to Executive Leadership using strong critical thinking and change management techniques.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, supply chain, analytics, or mathematics.
- Masters in Business Administration with Supply Chain or Material planning focus preferred.
- Experience creating a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
At REI, we believe the outdoors is for all.
We are committed to becoming a fully inclusive, anti-racist, multicultural organization. We know that there's strength in our diversity - that each employee brings unique skills, experiences, and perspectives. Every day you are driving change, fostering a culture of respect, and knowing you're backed by benefits that support your whole life. To work towards this commitment and fulfill our brand promise of inspiring and enabling a life outside for everyone, we seek employees who demonstrate different ways of working, create a sense of belonging, and actively listen and learn.Pay Transparency
We are committed to practices that promote pay equity and transparency. As required by applicable Pay Transparency laws, REI provides a range of compensation for roles that may be hired in locations under these requirements. Factors that may be used to determine your actual salary may include a wide array of factors, including: your specific skills and experience, geographic location or other relevant factors.
REI offers all regular employees a generous employee discount, access to health benefits, a retirement savings plan and accrued time off. Click here for a detailed overview of benefits plans by employee profile.Pay Range
$137500 - $233900 per year